The Medical Technologist uses a variety of technical and analytical skills to perform and evaluate all types of laboratory testing to aid the physician in the diagnosis and monitoring of patients. The medical technologist must exhibit service excellence as required by the accreditation bodies of the laboratory in performance of this job.
Collection of specimens: verifies the identity of the patient and labels all samples according to established procedure; obtains blood specimens by skin puncture or venipuncture using appropriate technique and maintains integrity of specimens in relation to the test performed.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Conducts the day-to-day delivery of laboratory service, prepare the area which he/she is assigned to and responsible for giving accurate and precise lab results.
- Performs the following diagnostic tests:
- Clinical Chemistry: Performs Chemistry tests in automated analyzers. Performs cleaning and maintenance of equipment, and physical facilities associated with Chemistry unit.
- Hematology: Performs CBC tests in hematology analyzers, performs sickle cell screening, qualitative G6PD screening, manual retic count, ESR, malaria staining, stains slides and reads differentials.
- Coagulation: Performs coagulation testing on both automated and semi-automated analyzers.
- Serology: Performs RPR screen, manual latex procedures such as RF, ASO, CRP, immunochromatography H. pylori, SPT, Widal and Brucella Agglutination. Performs tests in Architect plus and Vitros ECiQ including cleaning and maintenance.
- Microbiology: Performs Stool Analysis, Urinalysis, Fecal Occult Blood, wet mount preparation. Sets up initial culture and sensitivity procedures.
- Blood Bank: Perform Immunological tests for determining blood groups, cross-matching presence of antibodies and their identification. Component preparation and processing.
- Donor Room: Performs blood donor receiving, Collecting, testing for Bp, Pulse, Temp, Height and weight and interviewing based on established guidelines.
- Phlebotomy: Performs Venous and capillary punctures to obtain blood Samples for analysis from neonatal, pediatrics and adult patients. Adheres to policies and procedures, quality assurance program (Q.C/Q. I), safety, infection control and environment standards in the performance of specimen collection, processing, receiving and distribution.
- Has knowledge of specific techniques on instruments and is able to recognize factors that directly affect procedures and results adhering to the laboratory’s quality control policies.
- Receives collected samples into the laboratory information system after ensuring that all sample and patient data is correct.
- Processes collected samples and prepare them for testing.
- Distributes processed samples to the appropriate laboratory sections.
- Prepare the proper environments that surround the tests, prepare specimens and operate automated analyzers.
- Use laboratory computer system to enter test orders, results and test report printing and finding test result.
- Validates and verifies normal and initial results and solve second line problems.
- Monitors quality assurance procedures, documenting quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and maintenance performed on a daily basis.
- Perform manual tests in accordance with detailed instructions and can demonstrate discrimination between closely similar items and correction of errors by the use of preset strategies.
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications and inform the section in charge/Lab Supervisor.
- Performs other duties as directed or assigned and should contact Supervisor or Head of Department for any problem encountered if he/she reaches the limits of preset strategies.
- Assures that adequate supplies are available at all the time and maintain inventory.
- Perform all recommended periodic equipment maintenance
- Participates in educational programs, and hospital wide events.
- Assist the section in-charge in validating accuracy of assigned laboratory reports
- Assists the supervisor in ensuring that the standards established by the Joint Commission International, College of American Pathologists and other Accreditation institutions are met in all respect within the area of responsibility.
- Participate in the evaluation and development of new methods and instruments.
- Participates in hospital/department activities to improve patient care/lab systems.
- Performs other tasks and duties within the scope of the knowledge, skills, and experience required for the job and as assigned by the supervisor.
- Strictly follow the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) of the department
- Writes and gives proper endorsements to the next Technologist on duty.
- Update and monitor charts for all materials used in the section he/she is assigned to.
- Responsible documentation of corrective action taken for clerical error encountered.
- Should contact Supervisor or Head of Department for any problem encountered.
- In case of verified Panic Values, after informing the ward, document the event in the Panic Values Notification Log Sheet.
- Works cooperatively with team members to identify and complete lab administrative responsibilities and meet department goals.
- Treats all patient, clients and visitors with respect and courtesy.
- Follow the order given by the Laboratory Supervisor.
- Should arrive on time and report to technical bench promptly and leave on time.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Medical Technology.
- At least Five (4) years of experience in Clinical Laboratory.
- Must be licensable by Ministry of Health, Saudi Arabia.